Thursday, March 8, 2012

When My Head's in the Clouds

I’m antsy. After being bundled up all this long, cold winter in Vermont, even without a lot of snow, I’m longing for springtime and sunshine. I want to break free of this housebound hibernation. I’m ready to kick off these boots and leave them off, put away the shovel and icy melt, and pack away the woolly sweaters.

The Winter Blahs

Winter here means all excursions require planning and extra time to deal with the effects of the cold. Warm weather means the spontaneity of taking off at a moment’s notice in shirtsleeves and sneakers for a jaunt on one of the nearby walkways or hiking paths. Not too long from now, I’ll be able to just skip out the front door and be on my way, no worries about snowy steps or icy windshields.

And today, housebound with a cold, keeping company with two editing projects and a grant proposal due soon, we enjoyed the first deliciously springlike day of the season. The sun shone gloriously, the puffy clouds floated in the sky—and there I was, camping on my couch, holding office hours with my lapdesk and throat lozenges.

But, I made the best of it. I opened all the windows, breathing life into a house stuffy with wintertime. The curtains danced, manuscript papers ruffled in the breeze, and sweet kitty Georgie raced from window to window, jumping on the sills in wild abandon. He’s as ready as I am for warm temperatures, triumphantly growing grass and leaves, and the sounds from outdoors being something besides boots crunching in the snow.


Speaking to the Sky

Walking is a joyful and meditative experience for me. Sure, clomping through the snow can be fun, too, but for me, walking amid the sunshine and greenery is where it’s at. I breathe in the smells of spring, freshly mown grass or blooming flowers, and drink in the warmth of the sun. I revel in the smell of dirt, liberated from its icy cover. I let my mind wander among the clouds or float on a gentle breeze. Feeling connected to the earth like this leaves my mind liberated and my body shimmering with energy. Returning to my work after a brief jaunt, I bring a renewed energy to my work. Even when I worry I don’t have time, getting away helps me start anew with better focus and energy.

I made due today by enjoying the sunny day from afar, but I was buoyed by the imminence of spring, the departure of winter. Heading outside tomorrow, no hat or scarf to blind my view, I’ll enjoy the sky and breathe it all in deeply. Ah! I can feel it already!

1 comment:

  1. In SoCal this sort of experience comes the first sunny day after a cleansing winter rain. The earth shines again. Thanks for the sensory delights!

    ReplyDelete