Sunday, March 4, 2012

Cat Naps and Down Dogs

My favorite perk about working at home is sharing my space with my feline companions, Chief Morale Officers Hootie and Georgie. They help me stay in the moment and remind me not to take things too seriously. The kitties have no conception of what it means to be on deadline for anything, except perhaps for answering the alarm in their bellies every few hours. They loll at my feet, drape themselves around my neck mink-stole style, slink across my desk, slap at the buttons on the laptop, or—well, you get the idea. Hootie and Georgie make themselves at home while I work, and they’re committed to making sure I remember to play. Distracting me from my oh-so-important human endeavors is second only to Chicka Chicka Boom Boom kitty treats!

Georgie: Morale Officer and Playtime Coordinator

When I look up from the computer screen to rest my eyes, the sight of these guys basking in a sunbeam or chasing dust bunnies reminds me to get up and move, if nothing else. Even with their playful presence, I can get so immersed in a project that when I finally come up for air, I find that several hours have passed since I’ve really rested my eyes or my mind, or given any attention to life outside Word’s track changes feature. I rouse myself from my altered state and get up to stretch, scratch bellies, or toss bouncy-balls around for the play-deprived kitties. Their contortions may inspire me to do a few yoga poses or to meditate for a few moments before delving back into the fray.

Hootie: Senior Morale Officer and Feline Sage

Hootie is the senior officer, and his wise, steady presence has been a good balance to the frenetically energetic Georgie. Hootie has been semi-retired and is now not long for this world. He’s been a sweet companion for nearly 14 years, and the illness and decline happened very quickly. 

The last couple of weeks have been a very bittersweet time. I’ve been especially attentive to cuddling and nurturing Hootie, and making sure Georgie gets attention, too. My family experienced an unexpected, heartbreaking loss before the holidays, so this situation with Hootie has been nudging at those feelings, too. My strategy has been to tackle my work in one- or two-hour increments and make sure I’m staying connected with my friends and my meditation practice.

Grief is a strange and painful journey, but having the opportunity to accompany Hootie this far and keep him comfortable has been a real blessing. I’ve felt true grace and support.

How do you deal with work when grief or illness happens in your life? Holding my memories close to my heart and being present for the feelings has helped me. “Giving love to all, feeling the love of God, seeing His presence in everyone ... that is the way to live in this world” (Paramahansa Yogananda). Hootie’s friendship was a divine one, and I’ll miss his sweet, purring, big-bellied self.

2 comments:

  1. I have canine companions to keep me entertained and mindful while I work. What would we do without our critters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an ass-kicker when circumstances bring grief, illness, all those negative experiences. For me, when such things occur in my life, I've been grateful for the flexibility that freelancing offers, because time just has to stop.

    ReplyDelete